xwax DocumentationEdit this page
Please feel free to contribute to the documentation. You can also chat with or ask advice from the xwax community live in the IRC channel #xwax on irc.freenode.net
User Guides & Documentation
Getting Started with xwax
- Building xwax from Source
- Debian Repository Installation
- Ubuntu Repository Installation
- xwax is also available in the Arch Linux Community repository
Hardware & xwax
Non-Standard Usages and Modifications
- One deck setup - Controlling several virtual decks with only one turntable
- Four-deck rigging - Breaking xwax’s 3 deck barrier
- Cues saving and display - Port of xwaxed cues features. Save and load from .cue file and cue display.
- xwax Timecode - Version of xwax that contains Mark’s timecode definitions for 4khz, 2khz and 1khz versions. Timecode 1khz 0.1 FLAC and MP3 torrent
- OSC Server - Evolution of cmd branch. Permits to send commands with xwax-client command line or by OSC messages.
- ympd web client - xwax remote control branch of ympd mpd client
- Relative Timecode - Togglable prevention of record skipping and needle dropping
- “Vertical side-by-side waveforms” patch for xwax 1.3-beta2 (see screenshot)
- Changing the font size in xwax
- “Vertical side-by-side waveforms” patch for xwax 1.0
- 45RPM Mode for 0.7 and earlier
External Tools and Scripts
- Scan + Import Script for Scratching a Live Input
- iggy’s Scan Script - Uses playlists to speed up xwax’s startup time and gets BPM info from file metadata
- oligau’s Scan Script - Uses playlists to speed up xwax’s startup time and gets BPM info from file metadata or from filename if no tag present
- Mark’s scan script with BPM tags - Extract BPM information from file tags on the fly, and cache it
Common Issues & Troubleshooting
- Virtual decks playing in reverse? Switch the left and right RCA plugs over.
- Getting pops, clicks and xruns? Try increasing your buffer size.
- xwax not working with your CD players? Turn off key lock/master tempo.
- Diagnosing the Scope Views - A useful article from Serato on using the scope display. Helpful if your timecode’s performance is less than optimal.
- Scope signal is square? You might have input distortion if your CD player output is too loud for your audio interface input. If the audio interface has a fixed input gain, you can lower the amplitude of the timecode WAV file in a program such as Audacity and burn a new timecode CD.
- TTF DejaVu fonts not found
xwax is not only a project, but also a lively community!
- Check out our works and list your creations too!
- Get in touch with the developers with your feedback and bug reports via the xwax-devel mailing list.
- You can also chat with or ask advice from the xwax community live in the IRC channel #xwax on irc.freenode.net. Best practice is to ask your question and then leave your IRC client running while you do something else as it may be some time before someone replies.